The Garigolo. Curious about what makes Cádiz so wonderful? Live like a local and find out for yourself at our newly renovated, one-bedroom apartment in downtown Old Cádiz. Comfortably blending modern conveniences with historic charm, the apartment sits in a +340-year-old building next to Plaza de España, Plaza de San Francisco and Plaza de Mina - perfectly situated to sample some of Cádiz's favorite pastimes, like walking to La Caleta beach along the coast through beautiful Alameda Apodaca and Genovese Park.
The Garigolo is just a 13 minute walk or 1 kilometer from the train and bus station, right at The Heart of Cádiz!
The apartment is located in the historic center of Cadiz, in a building dating back to 1677 and that, for more than a century, hosted the Transatlantic Company. The origin of the building is documented by the deed of March 17, 1677, whereby Don Domingo Bravo sells the estate to Don Jose Lila and Valdés, before the Notary Antonio Calderón. Protocol 1304 Folios 74 – 84. Archivo Provincial de Cádiz. The property is divided in living room, bedroom with a queen size bed and bathroom (60 square meters). Fully equipped kitchen; with microwave, refrigerator, coffee maker, induction hob and washing machine. Suitable for the disabled, you can access through the lift without any hindrance.
The apartment is distributed on one floor, which is accessed from an impressive glazed patio, with iron and marble columns, dating from the restoration carried out in 1863 by Master Don Pablo José Artuña.
Interaction with Guests
We’ve recently refurbished this apartment located in Cádiz Historic Center in a 17th century building. We are doing our best to accommodate your needs, so any questions, any issues, please feel free to ask, we will be ever so happy to assist. We live next door so we will be there when you arrive, and at all times to help you settle.
Its location just 50 meters from the Archaeological Museum of Cadiz in Plaza de Mina, 200 meters from Plaza de España and 20 meters from the Plaza de San Francisco, is ideal to taste the history of eighteenth century Cadiz. It is surrounded by restaurants, bars, terraces and shops. Just 250 meters from the Plaza de las Flores and the Central Market in Cadiz.
If you come by car, the closest parking lot to our apartment is located in Plaza de San Antonio, it’s only 550 meters away or a two minute walk. There’s another parking lot located at Muelle Reina Sofia, about 650 meters away from our apartment. This is more economical. If you come by train or bus, the train station and bus station are next to each other. Only a 10 to 15 minute walk from the apartment through San Francisco street. There are also cabs available from the station in case you carry a lot of luggage. Urban bus stop and taxi cabs are only 200 meters away, in Plaza de España.
Other things to Note
The area is very busy during the Carnival of Cadiz and Easter. At that time events that bring together large numbers of people are organized, with performances and Easter pasos until the wee hours of the morning, which can be seen from the balconies of the house.
License or Registration Number
VFT/CA/00793 Andalusia Tourism Registry
History of the Building
The origin of the building is documented by the deed of March 17, 1677, whereby Don Domingo Bravo sells the estate to Don Jose Lila and Valdés, before the Notary Antonio Calderón (Protocol 1304 Folios 74 – 84. Archivo Provincial de Cádiz ). Don Jose Lila y Valdés was among others: Knight of the Order of Calatrava (30 of March of 1662), Marquess of the Alamos of the Guadalete (created by King Carlos II in 1685) and Perpetual Regidor of Cadiz.
Mahogany and Silver
The building appears in the model of the city of Cadiz made between July of 1777 and March 1779 by the Lieutenant Colonel of Infantry Alfonso Jimenez, helped by some cabinetmakers of Cadiz. The documentary base used for the construction was a plan of Cadiz signed by Ignacio Sala in 1749. Today it is in the Museum of the Cortes of Cadiz, where still it impresses those who observe it by its size and detail richness. It is a key piece to learn about the urbanism of eighteenth century Cadiz. By deed of March 20, 1862, Doña Mariana Lila y Zurita – heiress of Don José Lila y Valdés -, sells the house to D. José Matía, before the Notary Joaquín Rubio (Protocol 3292 Folios 472-489. Provincial Archives Of Cadiz).
1863 Renovation by Don José Matía
At the request of Don José Matía, the renovation of the façade of the estate was approved by the Hon. City Council of Cadiz on July 28, 1862, according to the Memory of the Master of Works Don Pablo José Artuña, being recorded in the Plans of the Reformation and Municipal Records, preserved in The Municipal Archive of Cadiz. This work is executed during the year 1863. Father Jerónimo Usera opened the School of the Sisters of the Love of God that operated between 1867 and 1871, when it closed and was transferred to Havana, Cuba. A plaque on the facade reminds this.
1881 Delegation of the Transatlantic Company
The building was the seat of the Delegation of the Transatlantic Company for over a century, from 1881 when the shipping company Antonio López y Cía. became known as the Transatlantic Company (aka Spanish Line) until the 1970s. Don Manuel Calvo Aguirre, whom the Marquis de Comillas appointed first vice president of the Transatlantic Company, died in the city of Cadiz at the age of 88 as a result of a heart attack., at number 3 on Isabel la Católica Street, on March 16, 1904. His mortal remains were transferred shortly after to the cemetery of Portugalete, in whose tomb a cross was erected in his memory by Don Claudio López, second marquis of comillas.
The following architectural elements should be highlighted: glass dome covering the inner courtyard, glazed galleries in the inner courtyard, courtyard with columns of iron and marble, marble staircase, windbreaker of the entrance door in carved wood and screen-printed glass from its time as Delegation of the Transatlantic Company and lamps of metal and glass in the patio and stairs.
Mahogany Carved Alfarje
Recently an spectacular alfarje consisting of beams and corbels in mahogany carved with acanthus leaves has been discovered on the second floor of the building. They are probably distributed throughout the second floor although only a part corresponding to one of the houses located at this height has been brought to light. The beams, about seven meters long, are magnificently preserved. The exact date of its elaboration is not known, although it is certainly prior to the reform carried out in 1863, since, according to the documents consulted, it only affected the façade of the building.
High Speed WIFI Speedtest.net
Producto disponible en Amazon.es
Precio: EUR 20,85Precio recomendado: EUR 21,95
Precio: EUR 15,68Precio recomendado: EUR 16,50
Precio: EUR 3,94Precio recomendado: EUR 4,15
Precio: EUR 5,22Precio recomendado: EUR 5,50
Precio: EUR 15,10Precio recomendado: EUR 15,90
Precio: EUR 11,30Precio recomendado: EUR 11,90
Precio: EUR 22,75Precio recomendado: EUR 23,95
Precio: EUR 15,20Precio recomendado: EUR 16,00