The Plaza of Spain and Monument to the Constitution of 1812 is one of the most emblematic of the capital of Cadiz.
Located near the port, it houses unique buildings such as the House of the Four Towers, the building of the Customs (current Provincial Council) and the Monument to the Constitution of 1812 erected in 1912. The works started in 1912 by architect Modesto López Otero and the sculptor Aniceto Marinas, to commemorate the Constitution of 1812. It was completed in 1929.
Plaza of Spain and Monument to the Constitution of 1812
The design of this magnificent monument is the work of the Valladolid architect Modesto López Otero and Aniceto Marinas García, who carried out the works of sculpture, and was built in this place in 1912, on the occasion of the first centenary of the proclamation of the Spanish Cortes of 1812, written and approved in that year in the city of Cádiz.
The shape of the hemicycle towards the pier responds to the attempt to make it as a monumental gateway to the city from the port.
The monument contains various allegories about War, Peace, Agriculture and Industry, along with some colorful reliefs alluding to the Cádiz resistance during the War of Independence.
In the large sculptural set, with a great sense of scenographic design, the two great allegorical figures of Spain and Hercules stand out, as well as the slender group of columns that rises in the center, and on which female figures hold thick book that represents the Constitutional Code of that 1812.
As a curiosity we can observe, right from the center of this monument, the new monument that was erected in this city to commemorate the same Constitution in its second centenary, in 2012. It is located in the very close Plaza de la Hispanidad, next to the pier, and forms a kind of sloping obelisk attached to a low pyramid, all in a soft gray color; a motif that is repeated exactly the same on the other side of the pier, something further south, in the so-called Plaza de Sevilla.